On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, William O'Higgins wrote:

> Quite foolishly, I ran this command without thinking it through:
>
> portupgrade -arR
>
> It's been running for 15 hours or so now, and I'm wondering how much
> longer it is likely to take?  I realize that "that depends" <grin />

Well, "that depends"; many ports can be upgraded quickly. However
compilation of C++ is markedly slower than compilation of C, so whenever
you see things like KDE or Qt meeding an upgrade, expect it to take a
while.

If you use "portversion -v | grep -v =" then you'll see the list of
ports which remain that need updating. (You need to run portsdb after a
cvsup for the output of this, and portupgrade's operation, to be
accurate.)

> Any suggestions?  Thanks.

If you've got packages installed that you don't want, portupgrade _can_
be safely interrupted and will pick up pretty much from where it left
off when you kick it off again.

It's often worthwhile checking the Makefiles for the ports you install
for tunable variables. Many ports offer interactive menus to select
features to build; Murphy's law would suggest that one of these might
well pop up just after you leave portupgrade to do its thing and go to
bed. You can normally select batch operation and choose the appropriate
options by putting them into /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf; the exact
mechanism used to indicate "non-interactive" mode isn't uniform across
all ports, however.

printf 'cat\nhello world' | `sh -c 'read c; echo $c'`