I just had this problem the other day. It wasn't httpd.conf, it was
/etc/hosts. I looked at my OpenBSD box that was working properly and
copied the format listed there.

::1 localhost.domain.com localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.domain.com localhost
127.0.0.1 hostname.domain.com hostname

I can't really explain this like others on this list, i just know it
worked.

Hope this helps,

Terry