On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:08:12 -0500
Marty Landman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> At 02:23 PM 11/16/2003, Derrick Ryalls wrote:
>
> >CUPS is mentioned in the logs, and you don't seem to know what it is, so do
> >you have a line similar to:
> >
> >printing = cups
>
> No, good point. I have ;printing = bsd so that was commented out.
>
> >Also, did you define guest in smb.conf and did you create the acct with
> >smbpasswd -a
>
> No. Now I did & rebooted. Same symptom, i.e. windoz explorer tells me
>
> \\Swamisalami is not accessible. ... The account is not authorized to log
> in from this station.
>
> One thing I notice is that nmbd is running but smbd isn't (ps -ax|grep
> mbd). Is this normal behavior?  more /var/log/dmesg.today|grep mbd yields
> nothing; looking at /var/log/log.nmbd the line
>
>    Packet send failed to 192.168.0.255(137) ERRNO=No route to host
>
> sticks out like a sore thumb. I gather that lil' devil tried probing port
> 137 on lan ip 192.168.0.255. That node doesn't exist; my dns comes from a
> win xp box called delliver with ip 192.168.0.1 and dial up using win ics.
> Yet for some reason samba looked at a non-existent ip on the lan; also it
> reported no route to host.
>
> Finally when I do a find computer on win xp for swamisalami it find two.
> One's just that, the other is that parenthetically labelled Samba Server.
> Neither is accessible. Finally when I look for my fbsd box by ip adr on win
> find computer it now finds it - also not accessible. Looks like I did
> something right and something wrong. (stating the painfully obvious).

Let me ask a couple of really silly questions.

Did you actually set up a user account ?

Is there a line in your smb.conf that refers to listening interfaces and
are they the correct interfaces/addresses ?

> One thing I notice is that nmbd is running but smbd isn't (ps -ax|grep
> mbd). Is this normal behavior?  more /var/log/dmesg.today|grep mbd yields
> nothing; looking at /var/log/log.nmbd the line

most definately not normal behaviour. smbd should be spawing a process
as root ie the master process and then one process per user so if you
cannot see smbd running then I cannot see how you can hope to connect
sucessfully. nmbd is the netbios name daemon so if that is running you
should be able to "see" the computer but without smbd you cannot connect.

HTH

LukeK