Garance A Drosihn wrote:
At 6:02 PM -0800 11/17/03, K Anderson wrote:

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

Are all the messages from the same process? And is that process really 'inetd'? If so, what kind of entries do you have in /etc/inetd.conf?

Woa, thanks for the quick response.

Just a matter of luck... :-)

Yes, the process is really inetd. Since in the inetd.conf there is the following entry: printer 515/tcp spooler printer 515/udp spooler

Are those lines really in your /etc/inetd.conf file?  Those
look more like lines from /etc/services.

Oh, right. Sorry.
inetd.conf says....
printer stream tcp nowait daemon /usr/local/libexec/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd

And the lprng.sh wants to load lpd from /usr/local/sbin. I
do have cups-lpr installed but I don't recall this issue
arising from it.

I have no experience with cups-lpr or lprng, so I'm not sure
what would be causing the problems you described.  But anything
named /usr/local/etc/rc.d/blah.sh will be executed at startup.
(well, if it is marked as executable).  I don't think inetd
enters into that.  But maybe the script launches another copy
of inetd with a different config file.

I killed the lpd process and the renamed lprng.sh to something
like lprng.sh.runthisandyoudie. Now inetd doesn't complain.
Of course I don't understand what application put it there.

Try:

pkg_info -W /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lprng.sh
or
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lprng.sh

(pkg_which is under /usr/local/sbin, if you've installed
the portupgrade port).  You might have to move the file
back to it's original name for those commands to work...

Had to do with something called LPRng. I don't recall how it was put there. So I uninstalled it and it didn't complain about any dependencies. So now the offender is removed. Such confusion. hehehe.