Jeff, this is the response I have sent to another inquisitive FreeBSD
user.  Hopefully the solution works for you, too.

Mike

----- Forwarded message from "Michael D. Harlan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:59:51 -0500
From: "Michael D. Harlan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FreeBSD and building XFree86-4 fonts

Hi Rob,

Actually, my question was never replied to.  And, I was never able to get
the fonts to install via ports.  However, I did manage to get them
installed via PACKAGES.  If you go into /stand/sysinstall, you can select
the scalable fonts for installation.  For some reason, this works.  Once
the fonts are installed, gnome will continue on in the installation.  Once
you get to the *.so.1 issue, find the *.so.x file, where x is a number
from 1-5 and symlink it to the filename that the makefile asks for.  After
that, it should be relatively smooth sailing for you.  I have the latest
gnome port installed on my system and it works like a champ.

There is definitely something broken with the port for the scalable fonts.
The port author did not reply to any of my e-mails, so I kept tinkering
around until I found the package route.

Hopefully you have the same success.  Let me know if I can be of further
assistance and I'll do what I can.

Mike

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:57:40PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] had this to say:
: Hi mike.  In searching for someone that might know something about the problem I am
finding in compiling applications that required the encoded XFree86-4 fonts I am
seeing the same problem that you reported in the questions email group for FreeBSD.
The problem is that the Makefile created by imake contains references to macros that
are supposed to handle the encoding.  My guess is that they are defined anywhere that
the make program can find.
:
: I didn't see any response to your question, but I wondered if someone contacted you
directly about the solution to this problem.  I am stuck now, in that I can't use
either gnome or kde, because they require that the fonts are installed.
:
: Your question was submitted to:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:
: The subject was:
: Makefile for XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0 port is broken?
:
: Please let me know if you were able to resolve the problem, and how you did it.
:
: Thank you very much,
:
: Rob Robertson [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:
:
: --
: (NOTE: This message was submitted via the website)

--
Mike Harlan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- End forwarded message -----