Since you have a rec option in your mixer.... I would go ahead and set the record input (which you probably already did)

mixer -f /dev/mixer[device] =rec [ line, mic ]

When you run mixer you should see
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
Recording source: mic

So I got my recording source in mixer output.

Also you could try giving the program the actual device /dev/dspW0.1 instead of a symlink.... Maybe it will like that better.

The only other thing I can say on the topic is that many full duplex cards (I am not at all familiar with yours) can do full duplex but may only do 8 bit in one direction and 16 bit in the other.
So they may be trying to set AFMT_S16_LE or AFMT_STEREO in both directions, which might not work. They should be doing AFMT_U8 on playback and AFMT_STEREO on recording .....

Not sure if this helps you. My only recording interests were to "Tivo" Radio talk show Mainly Art Bell.

Um. So I just have some crappy program and some scripts. I have not been played with anything else related to recording.

Best wishes,

-=Bill

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

hello all,

a couple of questions:

1) have any of you had success installing ardour (ardour.sf.net)?  if so, could you
please contact me to review the steps taken?

2) audacity users:  i currently have audacity-1.0.0_2 installed (audacity.sf.net).
even though it invariably hiccups an error message about /dev/dsp not being a
valid playback device, it does provide playback.  i cannot, however, seem to get it
to record.  i've scoured both google and the audacity mailing lists, but no luck.

for what it is worth, i do have 1 recording channel...

cat /dev/sndstat

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro-2E> port 0x1400-0x14ff irq 5 at device 8.0
        on pci0 (4p/1r/4v channels duplex)

i have also fiddled with the mixer settings in pretty much every way imaginable....

mixer

Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phout    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75

when i try to record, audacity complains about not being able to record and
playback simultaneously under unix.  when i try to change the program's
preferences so that it does not try to do both at the same time, i uncheck
a couple of boxes and hit 'ok'.  however, as soon as i hit 'ok', audacity whines
again about /dev/dsp not being a valid device and refuses to accept the changes.

sigh.

any suggestions you might have regarding getting recording working with this program
would be VERY much appreciated.  thanks for your time.

cheers,
epi