Hello...

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.9 (from the Mini CD ISO) on my system, yet the instant it tries to load the driver for my ethernet card, it has a Fatal trap 12.

I read the FAQ on this and searched the mailing list. Unfortunately, I can't do a stack trace or provide anymore information than what the Kernel Panic says, but since it's the default 100% plain vanilla kernel, maybe someone can help me out.

The ethernet card is a 3COM Fast Etherlink XL PCI (3C905B-TXNM), and I noticed that the fault might be from failing hardware, (the hardware does work under XP, but I know that's not 100% tried and true test), so I swapped it out with my other ethernet card from my linux server (same exact ethernet card, and it works under Redhat 9 and Debian Woody) and I still get the same error message. (Of course it might be other hardware failing, but the system does work fine under XP).
The last kernel messages before the panic are:

4.3 on pci0
xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast> at device 10.0 on pci0
xl0: couldn't map ports/memory
xl0: reset didn't complete
xl0: command never completed!
xl0: command never completed!
xl0: command never completed!

Then it prints out:

fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc03156bf
stack pointer =  0x10:0xc084be10
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc084be38
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =  0
current process =  0 (swapper)
interrupt mask = net tty bio cam
trap number = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 0s

The system is a P3-666 with 512MB ram, on an ASUS motherboard. If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this, or what other things I might try to prevent this from happening that would be great.

Thanks!

Todd