On Nov 22, 2003, at 3:11 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:

However, the values in make.conf only have an effect at compile time,
so if you want all of your perl modules to live under
/usr/local/lib/perl5/{,site_perl/}5.8.2 then you're going to have to
reinstall all of the ports that put files into %%SITE_PERL%% as well
as installing the updated version of perl.

Aargh, I had this happen to me on two boxes in the past week so the scars are still fresh enough for me to remember it all.

What worked for me [tm] was to invoke portinstall -r perl58 and let it fix everything. That worked when a simple "make [re]install" wouldn't.

(the r argument is valuable:

-r, --recursive Do with all those depending on the given packages
as well
)

My advice, worth every penny you pay for it, is to leave the extra directories alone (disk space is cheap). The side-effects are too hard to predict or rectify, in my experience.

--
Paul Beard
<paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>