On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:30:05 -0800, Allan Bowhill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 0, Jud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:The best tutorial I've seen on this remains <URL:
:http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html>. 3 years
:ago as a newbie it was far easier for me to understand than the Handbook.
:One thing has changed in those 3 years: The user wanting to access the Net
:must be a member of the 'dialer' group.

Actually, the group is "network"

The article does note that membership in the 'network' group is necessary. But membership in the 'dialer' group is *also* necessary (at least in 5.x - I assume from your message that it may not be necessary in 4.x), and it wasn't AFAIK at the time the article was published. (Or maybe that was because I was using 4.x at the time? Oh well, maybe someone can enlighten me here....)

IMHO, the best resource for user ppp is still the manpage. Probably
one of the best-written manpages there are.

I had a rough time with the man page myself. The tutorial, instead of providing what may be an overwhelming number of possible options to a newbie, describes a very simple step-by-step procedure.

Jud