I couldn't figure why I'm having this problem. If anybody knows why my
keyboard mappings are off, I'd really appreciate it.

On my main machine, everything works just fine (tab, cursor keys, home,
end) in both insert/command mode.

I've recently built a simple FreeBSD 5.1 web server. The problem I have
is that vim built on this machine seems to get different keyboard
mappings from somewhere.

Env: ssh from gnome-terminal, TERM=xterm

Symptoms:
bash:  everything works just fine (home,end,cursor keys,tab)
nvi :  everything works just fine (home,end,cursor keys,tab)

vim (command mode):
home,end,cursor keys work, but tab doesn't work for commands. tab key
displays ^I instead.

vim (insert mode):

up cursor    = A + enter
left cursor  = D + enter
right cursor = C + enter
down cursor  = B + enter

home         = H
end          = F

Additional note:
If I ssh back to my main machine from this server, the vim on my machine
doesn't not have the same behaviour.

I'm stuck, any help/explanation would be much appreciated.

--

FreeBSD 5.2-BETA i386
2:23am up 4:04, 1 user, load averages: 1.02, 0.57, 0.46