Chris wrote:

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

I have a number of scripts that run every night using a crontab. In my crontab file I'm using the MAILTO flag to get cron to email me every time it runs which results in a lot of emails.

Is there any way of instructing cron to only email me if the cron job fails?

regards

Stuart Gibson

Sure!

Redirect stderror to /dev/null:

/bin/sh /home/me/myscript > /dev/null

And this one won't mail you, whether it errors
or not....

/bin/sh /home/me/myscript > /dev/null 2>&1

Kevin Kinsey DaleCo, S.P.

Very cool! Now, what if you do the same, but instead of the normal crons, can something like this be done with the /etc/periodic/daily, weekly, and monthly routines?

I'd suggest

$man periodic

and see the relevant paragraphs under "Examples"...

KDK