On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 06:48:06PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> I'm logging into a headless FreeBSD box via a serial port (which I don't
> normally do) and am finding that the "autologout" variable is being set
> to 60 minutes in the shell. I can't find where the variable is being set;
> it's not in /etc/csh.* or in any of the "dotfiles." Can someone tell me
> where this variable is being set, so that I can adjust the time or
> disable automatic logouts?
>From the man page:

       autologout (+)
               The  first  word  is the number of minutes of inactivity before
               automatic logout.  The optional second word is  the  number  of
               minutes of inactivity before automatic locking.  When the shell
               automatically logs out, it prints `auto-logout', sets the vari-
               able logout to `automatic' and exits.  When the shell automati-
               cally locks, the user is required to enter his password to con-
               tinue  working.   Five  incorrect  attempts result in automatic
               logout.  Set to `60' (automatic logout after 60 minutes, and no
               locking)  by  default in login and superuser shells, but not if
               the shell thinks it is running under a window system (i.e., the
               DISPLAY  environment  variable is set), the tty is a pseudo-tty
               (pty) or the shell was not so compiled (see the  version  shell
               variable).  See also the afsuser and logout shell variables.

So presumably if you make sure the DISPLAY env variable is set you won't
be logged out automatically.  I've never come across autologout running
csh - probably because I always use a regular tty.

There's quite a few references to 'autologout' in the tcsh(1) man page anyway,
have a look.

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer