Mergemaster is definately one way to do it, but I prefer Portupgrade. It's much simpler as far as I'm concerned and does as good a job as mergemaster with less thinking involved on the part of the user. :)

Just CVsup your ports, then do "portupgrade -r -all", then walk away and let it run. If you want to do a single port, just do "portupgrade -r portname"

Best of luck. :)

At 12:43 AM 11/20/03 +0000, Lewis Thompson wrote:
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:27:59AM +1100, paul van den bergen wrote:
> if I upgrade from 4.8 to 4.9, will I also have to upgrade (by whatever
> method) the applications running on the box? I.e. those that are not
> part of the src tree?

On the whole... no.  But that doesn't mean you won't run into problems.
You can resolve those when you get there though ;)

> for that matter, am I likely to encounter any issues with
> configuration files?  /etc/... and /usr/local/etc/... ???

Try man mergemaster.

Best wishes,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.