Hi,

I am running a freebsd box to serve ADSL out to
machines on the network (see the adjacent post...).
What I did was buy a Speedtouch USB ADSL modem which
has had a lot of development for the driver on Linux
and Freebsd (see http://speedtouch.sf.net/) and am
running that fine on a FreeBSD 4.8 box (note that
FreeBSD 5 is NOT yet supported).

Cost me around 60 GBP if I remember rightly, don't
know modern prices though!  But you are right to be
wary, there are few ADSL PCI/USB devices that actually
have bsd drivers, from this point of view maybe an
ethernet device might be more compatible?