On 28 Nov, Rishi Chopra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> /dev/da0s1a:  BAD SUPER BLOCK:  VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE
> WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE /dev/da0s1a:  UNEXPECTED
> INCONSISTENCY:  RUN fsck MANUALLY

> How can I fix this error so that the machine boots normally?
> I am unable to run fsck from the prompt by just typing
> 'fsck'....

I have this problem quite often in my version - 5.1-Release #9.

The trick is to never reboot. <g>

The bad superblock is always found on my second partition,
mounted on /disc2 (of which I use half a gig as swap space, the
other 5.5gigs do absolutely nowt)

Sorry. Let's cut to the chase. Type "newfs /dev/da0s1a" and you
should get back on the ball fairly quickly.

John