Marty Landman wrote:

I installed the 4.8 mini iso w/o the source and would like to now install the source code too. How is this done, and is there a beginner's tutorial on working with gcc (I assume that's the standard compiler?) on fbsd?

Chapter 21 of the FreeBSD handbook covers most of this. Most people that are tracking FreeBSD via source use the utility "cvsup". This part of the handbook covers this utility as well as how to build FreeBSD from source. Once you've read the handbook, it's not that hard at all.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Also, once you get the source, the comments inside the main Makefile (/usr/src/Makefile) also give the steps necessary to build from source.

Richard Coleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]