On Dec 1, 2003, at 3:44 PM, Jeff wrote:
I hope this is the place I can ask a question.

Indeed; welcome.

[ ...description of net install using a FA311 NIC... ]
Upon further inspection, after installation and re-boot, I noticed that this card was also getting and error. The following three lines are what I get:

sis0: <NatSemi DP83815 10/100BaseTX> at device 13.0 on pci0
sis0: couldn't map ports/memory
device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6

One of my machines has that model of NIC and it works fine, so you should be able to get it working under FreeBSD. You didn't mention which version of FreeBSD you are trying to install/use, or provide much of a description of the rest of your hardware.

Start by going through your BIOS; make sure "Plug-and-play OS" is set to "NO"; disable the serial and parallel ports if you aren't using them, and turn off anything else (onboard sound?) that you won't need. It sounds like either the BIOS isn't configuring the card or you are out of resources (like IRQs).

--
-Chuck