This may not help much, but I've done some serial port development in the past, across a fair number of *nix platforms. Regardless of 'what should happen,' aside from Linux and Solaris, other variants were just that- this unfortunately is from memory (from a WHILE back on this project), but each OS(Solaris 2.5.1/6/7/8, Linux(RH6.3-7.X), HPUX (10.20/11.X), Irix(agh!) etc all had specific settings, both in opening the file descriptor for the port, as well as in the flags being set in the termios structure. There's a generic Serial Programming FAQ, but dated, at
http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/tutorials.html
Also see:
http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/ (a bit more up to date), but the problems I ran into were generally similar to what you seem to be describing- the port seeming to be in an incorrect or unknown state, regardless of the 'standard' way of doing things. Ultimately, I wound up comparing the initial open(), initialization strings via write(), and the termios struct settings to known WORKING code on the problem platforms, #def'fed the hell out of the code, and got most of it working. In this case you should be OK grabbing the source to minicom and doing the same....

I may be missing something obvious in my memory here, but after that one I had no further desire to do serial port/modem coding for quite a while ;-) (And God help me, HP developer support was almost as bad as M$!)

Scott

Jean-Marc Francois wrote:

Sir,

I've posted this question on a newsgroup, but got no response. Is there a cuaa-guru out there ? :-)

Thanks !
Jean-Marc Francois
Université de Liège

---------------
I got a strange problem.

I want to send a binary string to a small device I made via /dev/cuaa0.
The port settings should be 19200, 8N1 (no RTS/CTS, no XON/XOFF). Looks simple.

I've written a small program using the standard POSIX API : tcgetattr and the like.

When I launch my program, it doesn't work (well, it works with Linux but not with FreeBSD).
If I first launch minicom (and ask it to setup the serial port), let it in the
background and launch my program, it works.

The problem is that the dump of the 'stuct termios' my program is using with or without
minicom is the same, so that's not the problem (stty -f /dev/cuaa0 gives the same output
also).

I thought all the serial settings were in this structure; where am I wrong ?

Thank if you can help (if you can't, thanks for reading anyway :-) ), JM

---
#> stty -f /dev/cuaa0
speed 19200 baud;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo
iflags: -icrnl -ixon -ixany -imaxbel ignbrk -brkint
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cs8 -parenb clocal
time
5