On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:58 PM, William O'Higgins wrote:

I hadn't used that method, because I was unsure of the results, and the
procedure in the Handbook is more extensive than I had time for.

My reticence was well founded, since when I followed the above procedure
it rendered the computer non-bootable.

I doubt it's the procedure that had that effect: I've built kernels and worlds on several machines (desktops and laptop) since 4.2 RELEASE and I think I had one dud kernel in all the time.

I'm not sure how to interpret the comment that "the procedure in the Handbook is more extensive than I had time for." It doesn't take any time, really, unless you sit and watch the compiler messages streaming past.

If you haven't tried this yet, I recommend following the Handbook method with a GENERIC kernel and see how that goes. That should give you a kernel remarkably similar to the one you installed initially. If that works, you can rest assured the procedure is sound, and it's the configuration that needs tweaking.

--
Paul Beard
<paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>