Looks like my system is running out of free pty's. There are a bunch of
users on the system running screen, so we are using up a ton of the
ptys.

How do I find out the limit of ptys on my system? (sysctl doesn't
seem to show anything relevant.)

How do I increase that value? The pseudo-pty value in the kernel config
has no assigned value (ie. we are using the default).... but what is the
default?

Which version of FreeBSD?

I had a similar problem on my 4.9-stable box. What I did was use
/dev/MAKEDEV to create some more pty devices.

ls /dev/pty*

will show you how many you have, then

/dev/MAKEDEV pty1 (can also use pty2 pty3 pty4 etc)

will create more.