When I install or upgrade a port, all attempts to an HTTP
URL fetch are timing out.  Typically I'll just sudo
portupgrade a port I wish to install.

I am behind a firewall that uses nat and stateful rules.
Ftp fetches work just fine.  I just would like to speed
things up a bit by either causing the HTTP attempts to time
out sooner or authorize them somehow.

I have done digging via man  fetch.  It mentions some
environment variables that can be set:

        HTTP_AUTH  (man 3 fetch)
        HTTP_TIMEOUT (man 1 fetch)

I don't understand what user-name / password combination for
HTTP_AUTH could be set to enable HTTP fetches.  Is it the
same as the anonymous/email_address used when manually
logging into ftp sites as a guest?

And, if I set these ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES, do I need them
set it in the root shell, or the user running sudo?

Thanks to any who might respond.

--
        Michael Bueide
        mbueide (at) charter (dot) net .