Hi, Liquid--

On Dec 6, 2003, at 3:06 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm going to have a static IP - say xx.xx.yy.zz - and a subnet as follows:
xx.xx.xx.zz/28

Do you mean, "I am switching from a single static IP to a 16-address subnet", or are you going to have both a static IP on one connection AND a /28 subnet over a second connection?

1. Do I need to inform the ISP of my intentions so that people can actually
connect to an IP which is part of my subnet, but behind this router I intend
to build? (I didn't think it was necessary until I read 19.2.5 in the
handbook - it doesn't seem like it's necessary based on that alone, but it
has placed some doubt in my mind).

No, your ISP will route IP traffic for the subnet to you. On the other hand, certainly you should talk to your ISP about your network topology if you have any specific issues or questions for them.

2. I currently run my FreeBSD router on a cable connection while waiting
for the new ISP to get setup. I use NAT to translate the EXT. IP to the
internal ones of my lan. I don't need to run nat for the setup I plan to
have do I?

No, you don't need NAT for IPs on your new subnet: they are "directly Internet routable" if you want a buzzword. :-) However, you should spend some time considering security and setting up a firewall.

Sometime later, you might want to consider how to have machines on your new network be able to fail-over to your single-IP connection; and one way of doing so would be to use a NAT gateway of your public IPs from the /28 subnet via your original connection. [The inverse of -unregistered_only.]

3. Finally, I've read (briefly thus far) about routed on FreeBSD. Would
this daemon be used in such a way that I don't even need to add static
routes for LAN?

Yes, but routed is really intended for dynamic routing within an intranet, and is overkill for your situation. Specificly, you would accomplish more by configuring DHCP on your FreeBSD machine and broadcasting the correct default router IP than you would gain by using routed.

Ping all of your machines (or use the subnet broadcast address), and do an "arp -a" to get MAC addrs, then set up host sections to allocate static IPs via DHCP, so your machines can all be network auto-configured even if you rebuild/reinstall the OS on a particular box.

Again, this address is not subscribed, so please answer by putting my
address in the cc: field.

Done.

--
-Chuck