mike bueide wrote:

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:22:27PM +0900, Rob wrote:

Hi,

What's a not too complicated way of converting music CD's to mp3 files?

So far I failed using lame: I could create wav files and play them with x11amp.

Check out the description for lame in ports,

"mbueide@/usr/ports/audio/lame % cat pkg-descr LAME stands for LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder. "

Maybe this is the problem:). Personally, I like to use bladeenc
in a shell. I can have several open at one time encoding several of my cd's, albums, tapes all at once. Nice quality too.

You will find bladeenc in /usr/ports/audio also. As for ripping,
I use cdda2wav. It's a little more complicated but not to bad once you get used to it.

... mike

Well, that's the funny answer ... I thought of it, too.

But the real joke is that LAME *is* an mp3 encoder;
it wasn't when it started, but now it is...AAMOF,
recommended in the handbook. And all the tools
have CLI interfaces ...