Hi...

I have the same UPS and cable running with apcupsd on FreeBSD 4.8. I have nothing but good things to say about the UPS and apcupsd. Detects and reports power failures and power restores. Properly halts the system upon reaching remaining-charge-percentage or time-until-failure thresholds. I have messages logging to stdout and to apcupsd.log via syslog. apcupsd does not send out email notification (AFAIK) but I have swatch configured to email me any apcupsd syslog messages. I receive bi-weekly self-test messages. It has been working flawlessly for about 18 months.

Chris

Barry Skidmore wrote:

OS: 5.1-RELEASE
UPS: Back-UPS 650, serial interface
Cable: 940-0020B

With the above setup apcupsd detects a power failure, but not a return
of power, and thus does not send a notification email.

Also, apcupsd does not halt the system.  I noticed in the docs that for
this to work on FreeBSD you need a Smart UPS, and use the
--kill-on-powerfail option at the command line.  Since I do not have a
Smart UPS, I have not tried this option.

My question is what model number of APC UPS is working well for you with
apcupsd 3.10.6

My current setup did work fine with Red Hat 9.0 and upcupsd 3.8.0, so I
do not think this is an issue with the cable.

Thanks,