On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:00:15 +1300
"Richard Shea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:53:33 -0800, "Chris Pressey"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:39:13 +1300
> > "Richard Shea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > [of cvsupit weirdness]
> >
> > No clue as to what's going wrong, sorry.
> >
> > But you should probably be using cvsup (or cvsup-without-gui), as
> > IIRC cvsupit is obsolete.  (It's not in my ports tree, anyway.)
> >
> Hmmm, OK ... I was working off ...
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>
> ... and re-reading that has answered part of my question ...
>
> <QUOTE>
> If you do not know anything about CVSup at all and want a single
> package which will install it, set up the configuration file and start
> the transfer via a pointy-clicky type of interface, then get the
> net/cvsupit package. Just hand it to pkg_add(1) and it will lead you
> through the configuration process in a menu-oriented fashion.
> </QUOTE>
>
> ... don't know if the doco is out of date ?

Looks like it.  According to the CVS logs, cvsupit was removed on May 6
of this year:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/net/cvsupit/Attic/

> I may use something else
> in the future as you suggest but what I'm interested in initially is
> does this message ...
>
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> ** Missing package files for cvsupit-3.1.
> *** Error code 1
>
> ... mean the machine is in a good state or a bad state (.. ah, the
> eternal question :-)

Hm, I would say a bad state, but not *very* bad.  Looks like cvsupit is
partially installed?  You might be able to fix it up by running

  pkg_delete cvsupit-3.1

which should delete any files that were installed by the cvsupit
package (and possibly give you some warnings when trying to delete ones
that weren't.)

-Chris