Hi Nick.

Thanks for the reply.

I already knew of the FreeBSD stock perl issues and was aware that
under no circumstances should I try to upgrade the stock Perl, but
I appreciate the reminded nontheless!!

I gave up on trying to install the SpamAssassin I obtained manually
from spamassassin.org after it bitched that my Bundle::Net (or similar, sorry,
forget the exact package) was out of date. Trying to install it via CPAM
crapped out bigtime and seems to have left my stock FreeBSD perl setup in a
goofy state.  Perl would spit out nasty method tracebacks.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to redo just the perl portion of a
"make installworld" so I can reset my stock module config ?

Giving up on this approach, with the help of Jan Grant's earlier reply
I got the ports tree to work. [I needed to unpack the whole ports.tgz, not
just the spamassassin subdir]

First problem was that the MD5 on the downloaded distfile (that the ports
Makefile downloaded from spamassassin.org) didn't match:

< MD5 (Mail-SpamAssassin-2.60.tar.gz) = 65ece9dec35cc4701d98680d0651afd3
---
> MD5 (Mail-SpamAssassin-2.60.tar.gz) = 46d1db67ed1d860ddb136e0beb5f6ac3

I temporarily updated the MD5 so I could get past this, e-mailed the
maintainer.  I wasn't planning on installing until I heard back, but since
the stock make did a bunch of perl module updating foo,  if the tar.gz is
trojaned I could already be screwed :-(

Next the make groks when it tries to configure spamd,  claims gcc isn't in
the PATH,  though it's in roots path once make drops back to the shell.

This is probably easily fixable, but at this point I gave up and started
working on what I get paid to do :-) All of this is on FreeBSD 4.9.

I'm reminded of Greg Lemis's chastisement of me for previously not using
the FreeBSD Ports system.  It isn't making my life much easier here :-)))

Tony