> You are comparing apples and oranges. Linux is a kernel, not an
> operating system. "Distributions" is a specially ill-choosen word in
> the Linux world. There are several operating systems, Debian, RedHat,
> Mandrake, which only have in common to use the Linux kernel.

Well, this is what I indendet to express.

Besides that, I'd say that the various GNU/Linux flavours (let's put it that
way ;-) have more in common than just the kernel: The GNUish userland
(parts of which are used in FreeBSD, too).

> Forget
> the word "distributions" which seems to imply that an operating
> system is defined by its kernel.

I also dislike the term `distribution', I only used it for better
comparability.

Simon