Hi...

on freebsd-hackers, Alfred Perlstein posted a method that allows
boot-disk-less installation... but it requires mdconfig, a 5.1 utility...

is there a method to do this under 4.8?

it seems to me that the job performed by md0 could be done with vn0
e.g.

do
# ls /dev/vn*
if empty do
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV vn0
# ./MAKEDEV vn1
# vnconfig vn0 /path/to/freebsd/4.9.iso
# mount_cd9660 /dev/vn0c /path/to/freebsd4.9

or however you access the freebsd install iso disk
the point being to get access to the /floppies/boot.flp image on the cdrom

# vnconfig vn1 /path/to/freebsd4.9/floppies/boot.flp
# mkdir /bootfloppy
# mount_mfs /dev/vn1c /bootfloppy/
# cp /bootfloppy/kernel.gz /ikernel.gz
# cp /bootfloppy/mfsroot.gz /mfsroot.gz

then reboot as described...

I am about to try this out... wish me luck!

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures