On Saturday 20 December 2003 02:57, Drew Robertson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working at getting my FreeBSd 4.8 system to act as a dial up RAS
> server...
>
> At the moment, I have almost everything working... yay!
>
> My question to anyone that knows... my FreeBSD system is running SAMBA and
> is part of a workgroup in my home...
>
> Is it possible from a dial up client to view the Network using network
> neighbourhood??  I read somewhere that as the PPP server is a router,
> network browsing will not work... is this true?

That is true. You'd need at least one server at each subnet.
But once I did a ugly hack to make it working: I bimapped broadcast addresses
along the subnets. As far as I can remember this worked, but it was just for
fun, I never used it. Also prividing a WINS at SAMBA and using that on the
ppp link was usefull but that was long ago (WinNT WinCE and Samba 1)

-Harry