Malcolm Kay writes:

>  >    While many people fo this, it has been (semi-officially)
>  > discouraged since the days of 2.x.
>
>  What are you regfering to; the method of starting at boot,
>  or the concept of starting 'xdm' at boot?

        The idea of starting the display manager out of /etc/ttys.
(The recommended way, if I remember correctly, is to put in
rc.local.)
        I have seen a persuasive case made (but can neither quote or
reconstruct it ex tempore) that the /etc/ttys method is both
philospohically wrong and likely to bring greater grief if something
snafus.

                                Robert Huff