I have a problem with linking:
When I invoke make, I always give it the -DNOSTATIC option on the commandline
to save space. However, this doesn't work. My system still builds static
libraries. Or are the binaries linked dynamically, and the static libs are
there for nothing? I guess it's safe to delete them, right?
Everything is self-compiled, I do not use binary packages at all.

Also, I read that the kernel can execute gzipped a.out binaries directly, can
the same thing be done for ELF? I need a really small system, because I want
to boot and run it from CD-ROM.

Regards,
Daniela