Lowell Gilbert wrote:
Ihsan Junaidi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I upgraded a test system running 5.1 to 5.2 RC1 and with it, i came
upon a few difficulties. firstly, the default login and su PAM configs
are (mis)configured so that they totally ignored the password. so each
user is able to login freely without being prompted for a password.

You removed pam.conf?

no, it wasn't there the during initial install and the system works fine. anyway, found the cause of it, apparently during mergemaster, i either overlooked and didn't install pam.d/system or mergemaster didn't prompt for it. copied /usr/src/etc/pam.d/system to /etc/pam.d and the problem went away.

I've been getting weird behaviour from the rc init system,
specifically with it loading some sections of initization twice. i'm
not sure if this is intentional but it's annoying to see warning
messages popped up and they loaded just fine on 5.1.

Sounds like you neglected the 20030829 entry in /usr/src/UPDATING.
No?

yes i did. thanks for pointing it out for i totally missed it.