On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 04:59:05PM +0100, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> The holy grail, of course, would be that I invoke some command which
> asks me all questions and stores the answers somewhere, then invoke
> another command which actually builds and installs the ports.  I could
> then do the question-answering in the evening, before I go to bed...

It's called portupgrade(8) (sysutils/portupgrade in ports).

Unlike portversion -c it will do the upgrades in the correct
dependency order, which will leave you with a correctly working
system.  You can record any port options you use in
/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf before you start your updating job,
including options for interactive configuration (Hint: add 'BATCH=yes'
to your make options to stop the interactive screens coming up).

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way