On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Tim Kellers wrote:
> I'm building world/kernel on a spare box right now to see if it shakes
> an idea or two loose.  I'm also wondering if your /usr/src files are
> actually building a new world, too.  Trying to think of what might break
> if you are running a STABLE world with a pre-release kernel.  Top is the
> classic utility that breaks when your world and kernel don't match, but
> I'm not sure if that will happen if you don't cross version boundaries.

        Well, I've compiled with 4.9-RELEASE binaries and 4.9-STABLE
(12/24/03) binaries and had no observable effects.  Likewise, the symptoms
were first noticed when the world and kernel were the same.  They have
repeted themselves within every combination that I've tried.

        FWIW, I tried rm -rf /usr/obj and recompile, but that didn't
improve things.  I also tried mv /usr/src /usr/src.old and then re-cvsup
and recompile.  That didn't help, either.

                                                        Jaime