Matt Juszczak wrote:

Maybe you can find something here?

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2001-July/msg00170.html

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trey Sizemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Micheal Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: Can't login to machine any more!

Micheal Patterson wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Trey Sizemore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2003 6:10 PM
Subject: Can't login to machine any more!

Just recently I can no longer login to my machine. When I get to the

gdm

screen and enter my username and password I get:

"The system administrator has disabled your account."

This happens with both my normal account and THE ROOT ACCOUNT!

Is this recoverable and, if so, how?

Thanks.

You should be able to boot up in single user mode and correct this

problem.

I'm not sure what would cause it though.

Logged into single user mode and ran:

#grep root /etc/passwd

It showed the shell to be /bin/sh

Did a reboot and tried to login with gdm again and got the same message.

Sorry, missed the gdm part. Thought you were locked out of shell.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration

Yeah, I ran across this with a google search yesterday. I found that the account expiration dates for all my accounts were set to December 1969 somehow. Changing this fixed it, but I was having some other issues regarding logging in and out with X that were still unresolved, so I'm in the process now of doing a fresh install.

Thanks for the info, everyone!