On my file server I have 2 drives. I looked at RAID but it doesn't help solving the major issue ... me, user removing files that are not supposed to be removed so incremental backup is a plus.

On the first one there is the linux system (sorry... I promise I will switch to fbsd) as well as data (2 directories) :

DISK 1
/ OS
current |
|---- user 1 current <---> UNISON with laptop/desktop...

backup

|----- user 1 backup <---- RSYNC-BACKUP of "user 1 current", incremental backup

DISK 2
/
backup

| ---- linux backup <----- RSYNC of the file system from the first drive excluding data
| ----- user 1 backup (2) <----- RSYNC of the user 1 backup directory (already incremental in the first place)

I use 3 different programs :
- Unison : 2-way synchronization using rsync/ssh, multi platform graphical interface. I can have the same files on my file server, laptop running win2k as well as my desktop running Linux/BSD. Very convenient especially with laptops when you can't be connected all the time.Very fast too (only transmit diffs)
- rsync : typical rsync that will mirror the source to the destination
- rsync-backup : it's based on rsync but you get the advantage of incremental backups so you can restore from a specific date. You can also purge the backup by removing old stuff.

A couple of cron jobs take care of the different backups at night.

I don't know if that answers to your question but I thought that could give you some ideas.

Dany

Francisco Reyes wrote:

With every HD problem I loose less and less data. On my last episode I
lost only the current day's worth of data (backup at night). However I
realised that I also need to backup programs installed on the machine. It
takes a long time to rebuild all packages (I had a list of ports I had
installed).

How do others backup their programs?
I am undecided between trying to backup the entire /usr/local and making
packages of my critical ports and burning that to CDs.

I also took care of all system files, but I realized that backing up all
of /etc wasn't so helpfull if I didn't know which files I used. I also, as
of last crash, am going to backup /usr/src since restoring all of /etc
only makes sense with matching sources.

The one thing I have against trying to backup all of /usr/local is that
something like PostgreSQL may cause the backup problems whereas the
package solution will be a one time deal and will not affect production.

The other thing I learnt that needs to be backed up is the /usr/ports
directory.