Matthew Seaman wrote:
On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:38:09PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:

If I build a kernel with "options netgraph", in order to use mpd, netgraph.ko
is still loaded at boot (with an error) but mpd does not work.

You can't simultaneously load a .ko and have the same code compiled into the kernel.

_I_ know that. Tell it to whatever part of the system is trying to load the kld.

I'm not saying that being unable to load a kld for a service that's
already compiled in is an error.  I'm saying the fact that mpd tries
to load the kld when it's already compiled in is the error.

If I build the kernel without netgraph, netgraph.ko loads, along with other
netgraph modules required for PPTP, and mpd works like a charm.

What I haven't tried yet, is compiling a kernel with all the options for all
the netgraph modules I'll need compiled in to see if that works.

It's generally best either to kldload all of the netgraph modules you require for this purpose or to compile them all into the kernel. One way, or the other, but not a mixture of both.

I would go beyond "generally best" and straight into "it doesn't work".

My question is, "Is this fact documented somewhere, and I didn't see it?"
Because, if it's not, I'm going to put together a doc patch and file a PR.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies