At 03:15 PM 1/1/2004, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
On Thursday 01 January 2004 21:59, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> I have installed 5.2RC2 on i386 and have all of it working well (including
> ACPI with HTT)
>
> Since I am much more familiar with the 4.x flavor, is there any web area
> that explains the following:
>
> 1. it seems alot of startup was moved to /etc/rc.d...thats cool, but I dont
> see the connection as to how things in there are being invoked?

I just can tell you that RCng was merged from NetBSD some months ago.

> 2. How can I get rid of the boot menu and boot 5.2 like 4.x ?

You can edit /boot/loader.rc and comment the line "include /boot/beastie.4th"
and "beastie-start"

> 3. I built a custom kernel and chose to incorporate 'hints' within the
> kernel and that seems to work, but I noticed alot of modules still get
> built for devices I didnt include or list (like scsi and sound)...how can I
> effectively remove devices I dont have ?

That's because modules are built together with the kernel not with the world.
You can change this by adding the following to /etc/make.conf
"NO_MODULES=    true"
or or and/or
"MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true"

> ..other than this (so far)..I am very pleased at the performance!

Well then you seem to have very fast hardware. Regarding disk transfer and
network speed there is plenty to do (see Greg Leheys latest measurements)

-Harry

umm. This is not good news? - I have dual machines that have Pentium4 3.06ghz and run IDE 7200 rpm drives...I have not seen any loss of performance via network -or- IDE transfers. Things seem to really rock....

Hmmmm.

-- J.D. Bronson Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA Office: 414.978.8282 // Fax: 414.328.8282 // Pager: 414.314.8282