I use the US Dvorak keyboard layout, and I find it very difficult to type in single user mode (when installing world, for example), because single user mode uses the QWERTY keyboard layout, and does not seem to pay any attention to kbdmap (I think that's the command name - the one with the interactive keymap chooser).

Someone suggested that it's possible to compile the Dvorak layout into my kernel, but how is this done, and is there an easier way of changing keyboard layout in single user mode?

--
Bob