Jaroslaw Nozderko wrote:
[...]
Yes, see my post from earlier today called "Can't shutdown, logout,
or restart cleanly."
[...]
thanks, I've read it - I have Asus P3B-F motherboard :))
But seriously, I'm not sure it's hardware-related - I don't remember
a single occurence of this problem in 5.1 and 5.0. It seems to have something to do with 5.2.
[...]

I agree: I experienced X11 freezes on 5.2 with both a nvidia card as
well as a card using the i740 chipset. The nv freezed the computer as
soon as I started X, the i740 happend to freeze it when I killed the X
server
Also, I saw two similar reports on the -current list.

However, I managed to work around these freezes by removing the two
SMP-related lines from my kernel configuration:

options         SMP  # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic # I/O APIC

Additionally, I am sure ACPI does not have anything to do with this -- at least on this box.

HTH
- Martin