On Jan 12, 2004, at 10:37 AM, fbsd_user wrote:
On an new install with only an root account, I want to set the
command line prompt prefix and the default editor for all new users and also the root account.

What file do I put the 'set env' commands in to make this happen
globally?

Look at /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc.

[ Note that root has /bin/sh as it's shell, whereas normal users will be using csh by default. This matters because different shells have different syntax and config file locations. ]

--
-Chuck