On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:32:30PM -0800, Rishi Chopra wrote:
> I have a nitpicky question about logging into a FreeBSD machine and
> SSH.  I'm using a minimal FreeBSD install and SSH Secure Shell client
> v3.2.0 - the crux of the problem is I am unable to "smoothly" login.

Which FreeBSD version?  And are you running the OpenSSH server
supplied with the system or one from ports?

> When I login to my machine, I'm prompted to enter an "authentication
> response".  A window is displayed with "Enter Authentication Response"
> in the title bar, and two buttons at the bottom ('OK' and 'Cancel') -
> the text says:
>
>   Enter your authentication response.
>   Password:

Sounds like you've got the PAM based challenge-response authentication
enabled in your /etc/ssh/sshd_config (which is the default), but
your /etc/pam.conf (FreeBSD 4.x) or /etc/pam.d (FreeBSD 5.x) has a
modified configuration.

Here are a couple of things to try --

Turn off Challenge-response authentication in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Change:

    #ChallengeResponseAuthentication yes

    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

and then:

    # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/sshd.pid`

to get it to reread the config.

 -- or --

Double check the PAM settings: they should look like this in /etc/pam.conf

    # OpenSSH with PAM support requires similar modules.  The session one is
    # a bit strange, though...
    sshd    auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
    sshd    auth    sufficient      pam_opie.so                     no_fake_prompts
    #sshd   auth    requisite       pam_opieaccess.so
    #sshd   auth    sufficient      pam_kerberosIV.so               try_first_pass
    #sshd   auth    sufficient      pam_krb5.so                     try_first_pass
    sshd    auth    required        pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass
    sshd    account required        pam_unix.so
    sshd    password required       pam_permit.so
    sshd    session required        pam_permit.so

The /etc/pam.d case is similar, except you should have a file called
'sshd' in that directory, whose contents are similar, but without the
'sshd' entries in the first column.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way