Daniel J Cain Jr. wrote:

I am trying to get vmailmgr-0.96.9 to build from the ports collection of
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE.  I 'think' it will work if I can have the port use
a different compiler version during the build.  I have been unable to
figure/find out how (if?) this is possible.  By default it seems to use
gcc 3.2.2, and I have the port install of gcc 2.9.5 available I just
don't know how to make 'make' use the older version.

I usually use

make CC=<your C compiler here> CXX=<your C++ compiler here> build

Thanks! That seems to have done the trick!

If you had to do a lot of work to make the port work, it would be helpful if you contacted the maintainer of the port (look in the Makefile) and told them what you had to do.

If there is no maintainer, the maintainer is ports@ or the maintainer doesn't do anything about it you could consider packaging your work up as a new port using the existing port as a starting point.

See the porting handbook on the FreeBSD web site.

Andrew