Hello,

What's the deal with soft updates and guaranteed consistency? Every time
journaling is brought up by someone, he/she is promptly told about how soft
updates does the job at least as well.  I never had a problem with this based
on what I have read about soft updates. However:

I *very* quickly ran into a case where I got an "unexpected soft update
inconsistency" after crashing the machine by doing something naughty with
Vinum while there was disk activity (note: the filesystem which exhibited the
problem was not on a vinum volume).

So my question is:

Do soft updates, or do they not, algorithmically guarantee filesystem
meta-data consistency in the event of a crash?

   or to put it another way:

Was this an implementation bug or a fact of life with soft updates?

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org