On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I have been looking all over for a concise howto for remote X on FreeBSD.  I
> see some that involve changing config files in the xdm directory, others use
> xhost, and another uses xfig, which doesn't exist under FreeBSD AFAICT.
>
> All I want to do is use a laptop in a local network to be an X client
> connected to a more powerful desktop machine.  I'm not worried about
> security.
>
> Is xhosts and the DISPLAY variable all I need?  Or do I need to go through
> all of the xdm configuration hoops?
>
> NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.

What do exactly want to do? If you want to login into your laptop from
your desktop machine, you may enter "xhost +laptop-ip-address" on your
desktop system and set the DISPLAY variable in the login shell on the
laptop. The latter one will then run X clients and the desktop system the
X server.

But if you want to use the laptop as a kind of X terminal and run your
applications on the more powerful desktop system, the laptop needs to run
the X server and the desktop the X clients. In that case, I suggest you
should comment out the line

  DisplayManager.requestPort:   0

in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config (put a ! at the beginning of the
line), run xdm on the desktop system and start the X server on the laptop
by entering:

  X -query desktop-ip-address

Best regards

Konrad Heuer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ____            ___  _______