> Everything runs fine for about an hour and a half then everything freezes
(
> doesnt recognize keyboard, mouse, anything etc ) and i have to do a cold
> reboot ( ouch! ).

Do you have X running or any additional cards/devices/drivers in use in
the machine when this occurs? Which ethernet are you using etc.

-with X running or not, the only possibly 'non-standard' thing running is
the 4-way usb/multimeida kvm switch i'm using. (iogear) but other than
being a half-assed cheap switch it's working correctly and doesnt' seem to
have anything to do with this.
I have 2 onboard nics, a 3-com and nvida built in but i'm using a SMC
(Accton|SMC2-1211TX) which is working fine, also seems to be unrelated.

> I do believe this to be related to ACPI but have no proof.

Does this still happen with ACPI disabled?

- good question, i have been trying to track this down to bios or other
settings or issues before running the kernel with ACPI permently disabled
but that may do it.  I'll boot tonight with it off and see if that helps.

>Having ACPI enabled can also cause interrupt related problems in some
configurations.

- do you mean disabling ACPI in the kernel when it asks if you want to
permanetly disable?

-------------
I also recieved this answer from a user:
In bios
Disable power management options.
Set operation system option to other, or just not ms/windows,
disable all plug-n-play options.

I did this last night and it ran for 2 hours without incident.
(had to go out, didn't want to take the chance of it freezing up when not
home, so i shutdown) but it did run for 2 hours with no problems and did
not freeze up.

thanks for the responses