On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 07:29:59PM -0500, parv wrote:
> in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> wrote Jonathon McKitrick thusly...
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:06:17PM -0500, parv wrote:
> > : in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > : wrote Jonathon McKitrick thusly...
> > : >
> > : > I haven't used my infamous Toshiba Satellite with FreeBSD 4.8 very
> > : > much since I got my desktop system with a flatscreen.  I'm trying
> > : > to think of something interesting to do with it now.
> > : >
> > : > Any ideas on something interesting to use it for?  Maybe some kind
> > : > of learning experience?
> > :
> > : Try to run (Free|Net)BSD-current?  Or even, Sun Solaris 2.9?
> >
> > Solaris?  That might be interesting.  You can order Solaris for x86 on CD
> > free from Sun, correct?
>
> I know one could order Solaris CD but do not know if it the CD would
> be sent (almost) free of cost.
>
> Does Sun not provide a free downloadable OS image/binary?

Yes, I have Solaris 9 fully downloaded for x86, but there are some
buy only add-ons they recommend.  I believe the free part should
give you a full gnome desktop along with other software, but I haven't
had a chance to install it and try it out.

> > Does it work pretty well with laptop hardware?
>
> To tell you the truth, i listed the operating systems that i would
> like to try out myself, but for (disk) space, thus financial
> reasons, cannot.  I was hoping perhaps you could try them out, and
> would let me/us know how other OS's behave...

I'll tell you how it goes, but after using solaris 2.5, I think I'll
stick with free unices.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C