Hi list,

I am considering switching our "production" server from 4.9 to 5.2. "production" means that it serves some 20 people at our university institute.
Unfortunately the machine crashes occasionally which would be tolerable if it was up again immediately. However the fsck of our 300+500 GB RAIDs takes almost an hour and that's why i want to switch to 5.x because it fscks in the background.
The machine is an ASUS A7V333 with AMD XP 1800+ and 512 MB RAM, 3ware 7500 RAID.
It provides the 'usual' services:
- NFS
- Samba
- IMAP
- SMTP
- LPD printing
- Mailman
- HTTP
- Postgres
- LDAP User, mail aliases, automount info
- IMP Webmail

So, no fancy hard- or software, i guess.
Would it be very hazardous to sitch to 5.2 already now?

Another thing: Is there any point in converting the filesystems to UFS2 (in a later step)?

Thanks for any insight,

        Heinrich
--

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341