I've been experimenting with kernel configurations and network performance. I'm running a dual Xeon processor (500MHz) system with 10/100 ethernet (Intel). It's an Intel motherboard. The cable is CAT5 and I'm transferring between the FBSD box and an Apple G4 laptop with 10/100 ethernet. This is going through a Netgear 10/100 hub (non switching). In my limited capacity I'm using ncftp{put/get} to transfer large files. Using a basic, no frills custom kernel (nothing controversial), ncftp shows about 7.5MB/s throughput between these two machines. I added the following lines to my kernel conf

        options DEVICE_POLLING
        options HZ=1000

and modified /etc/sysctl.conf by adding

kern.polling.enable=1

and now ncftp shows about 8 MB/s. (Recompile, reboot, etc)

Perhaps I'm dreaming, but shouldn't I be getting better network throughput in either case? Perhaps a switch would be better than a hub?

The G4 Powerbook shows its running en0 at half-duplex over 100baseTX. Which, I think, is the same for the dual Xeon system. Both are autoselect. Perhaps I should scrap the kernel config issue and configure both interfaces for full-duplex 100baseTX.

Thoughts/experience/advice?

Thanks for the help, as always.

Alex