I'm getting REALLY frustrated. Google searches, forum searches, for
DAYS... and well... I can't get this to work!

I've got FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE on a HP Pavilion zd7000. I've had trouble
after trouble, but it has been worth it - but when I am on the go, I need
to have a modem and a wireless NIC.

So... the solution is clearly PC cards or cardbus cards, yes?

To test the bus and see if I can get things working, I borrow a 3com
Megahertz 56kglobal modem (3CCM156) pc card and a Xircom CreditCard
Ethernet Adapter IIps from a friend. These are both found in
/etc/defaults/pccard.conf so I figure they would be a good start.

I recompiled my kernel with these options:
device cbb
device pccard
device cardbus

In dmesg | egrep "cbb|cardbus|pccard" I get:
cbb0: <ENE CB720 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xd2004000-0xd2004fff irq 17 at
device 1.0 on pci2
cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
cbb0: [MPSAFE]

Other possibly relevant stuff:
pcib0: slot 31 INTB routed to irq 17
pcib0: slot 31 INTB routed to irq 17
pcib2: slot 1 INTA routed to irq 17
cbb0: <ENE CB720 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0xd2004000-0xd2004fff irq 17 at
device 1.0 on pci2

I thought that looked good. So I slap in the Xircom ethernet, and I get:
CIS is too long -- truncating
pccard0: Card has no functions!
cbb0: PC Card card activation failed

Same thing for the 3Com modem!

I tried a Cisco wireless card, it gives a different error but ends the same:
cbb0: ready never happened, status = 4d
pccard0: Card has no functions!
cbb0: PC Card card activation failed

This is REALLY getting to me now, I want nothing more than for this
notebook to be a good solid usable machine. It already breaks my USB when
I turn on ACPI but that is at least tolerable because I rarely use a USB
device when I am in need of ACPI. However, a wireless pc card and a modem
pc card will be VERY VERY hard to live without!

Thank you. Please supply ANY information you can, ANYTHING I can look for,
ANY articles I can read on this subject.

Rather desperate here... Coming up on some travel time :-/